Friday, April 15, 2016

The Third Letter Narcissus Graham

(It has been 4 month and 4 days since the second letter)

 Morristown
 Feb.7, 1780 (Monday)

Capt. John Harmon att Suffield in Connecticut, Favor of Sam’l AllenWorthy Capt.

I shall improve this opertunity as a favorable one to salute the news of your Resigning, which reached my Ears the 18th of January, as I came to Camp.

I’ll relate the march I had from Salem, which continued from the 14th to the above date. The 14th I set out with little resolution & gave over the thoughts of ever reaching Camp, but I made ahead as far as Haits, which was ten miles. The Snow was far beyond whatever I did see. In general, up to my knees & some worse & better. My Eyes gave Vent to ease the heavyclod which is heaped in my Breast, of Misery & Distress.

The 16th in like manner but with the greatest Vexation & Perplexity. (The) 16th I got 18 miles over the River, as far as Soverrends with two Weary Travelers.

The 17th went 31 miles, within nine miles of Camp.

18th I came to Camp, but before this I see Dady at his Quarters, who informed me of your Resigning & being gone home, which I could not hardly believe before he repeated it several times.

 It wounded me to the bottom of heart. Horror, Dispare & Fear increased with no Ease. I felt like one in Dispare, Raving at the thought of Desolation & upon the Brink of Distruction. O pity a Cruel Unfortunate. Hardships fatigue me not, O heart, & be still o’ mind. O My Dearest Capt., I have hope to believe that your mind won’t slip & forgit me, but excuse my unworthiness. I do hope that you will assist in getting me out of the Service & I do request your making Robert hire me a man & don’t let the want or thought of money Spare. I do believe you won’t forget what time you spent here the last time you was in Camp. It’s a little better here now, for we have Provision more Plentyer than then – even to a Supply. But, Dear Sir, a Body has as good Starve as Freeze. Consider my situation, in this inclement Season, without any Supply of Clothing to the least Individual Ragg, nor an’t likely to git anything. I ha’nt a Shoe to my feet of my own. Lt. Fanning says it an’t likely that any Clothing will Come in very soon which by Necessity will Render me very miserable in this Cold Weather. Can heartily wish never to draw another Ragg if I could possibly git Clear from the Service. But, Honored Sir, I ask your repeated Pardons for taking the boldness to write & to subscribe myself your well-wisher & unworthy & begging, Humble Servt

Narcissus Graham

P.S. Be pleased to give my Duty, love & Kind Complyments to all inquiring Friends. I am in usual health at present & the rest of the company in like manner. I have tried to hire a man but I can’t git any. I should be glad that you would tell Dady I had not time to write as I began your (letter) first. I conclude with the kindest Complyment to yourself & Family. Allen has got a Discharge & I have another opertunity unexpected & there fore I shall write one to Dady. 


No comments:

Post a Comment