Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Second Letter Narcissus Graham

(2 years 3 months and 16 days have passed since  Narcissus wrote the previous letter.)

Nelson’s Point
Aug. 3, 1779 (Saturday)

Rev’d Father: Sir:

In short – I am unwell, but not so but that I have been about & done my Duty till now, but hope (I am) gitting better. My kind Duty to your Self & Spouse, my love to Brothers & Sisters.

I should have wrote to the rest if had time & therefore must be excused, not having but two or three minets. I received the things that was sent me by Capt. Harmon, which I humbly thank for.

I was at Salem, at Uncle Robert’s, & all well. Cozen Robert has been very unfortunate in & by the art of War. He went out in the Militia & was taken & carried into York Gaol, where I suppose he remains to this Day.

The Army are in good health & in enraged Spirits against those thieves of the Country who waste & destroy the towns & plunder the People. If it wa’nt for those blood-thirsty Tories who lead on to destroy, the Country would have been free this two years, if they had been out of the way.

Subscribing my Self, your Affectionate Son,
Nar. Graham

P.S. I hope & wish that I shall be free soon, for my Mind runs to & fro like a Crazey man, my nature gives faster than age Requires. I find that I can’t travel, not steady, more than twelve miles in a day.
*   *   *   *   *

Some insights to life in 1799


From 1799 Newspapers

08/08/1799 Maryland Gazette

08/06/1799 Poughkeepsie Journal (New York)




No comments:

Post a Comment